| 0 comments ]


Christian pop artist Tayla Hodges may be only 18, but her career has already taken her through some remarkable experiences, like working with a world-class music producer, recording a full-length album of original songs, and receiving a rating of 3.5 out of 4 stars from CCM Magazine, one of America's largest Christian music publications. When MMM talked to Tayla in late 2008, she shared some wonderful insights into the faith that drives the message behind her music.

From the church to the recording studio, music has always been an outlet through which Tayla expresses her love for Christ.
Is there a particular Bible verse that has been meaningful to you as a singer? How has it helped you?

Jeremiah 29:11-14 - "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,' declares the LORD, 'and will bring you back from captivity.'" This piece of Scripture has meant so much to me in my journey as a singer. It has always encouraged me that God has an amazing plan for my life, a plan of hope and prosperity. He has everything worked out perfectly and all I need to do is depend on Him. This is something I constantly need to remind myself of, especially when I get in those slumps where not much is going on in my career, because God really does want to do more than I could ever imagine with His perfect plan for me. All He asks me to do is call on Him and seek Him with all my heart and He will listen to me and let me find Him. This is my ultimate goal not only with my music, but in the rest of my life; to chase after Him with all I have.

Tayla's first CCM album, released in 2007, is called 'Footprints.'
What is your favorite song on the CD, and why?

My favorite song on my "Footprints" album is my title track with the same name, "Footprints." I was inspired to write this song by the famous Footprints poem that talks about how God is the other set of footprints in the sand throughout our entire lives, and even in the lowest and saddest times when we see only one set of footprints, that is when He is carrying us through. I wrote this song at a time when I thought no one understood me and I just felt so alone, but God pointed me to this poem and showed me that He always understands me, His love is always there to hold me. Every time I sing this song it's so powerful to me because it reminds me that Jesus will never leave me or forsake me, no matter what I'm going through. That is so refreshing!

The eclectic styling on 'Footprints' make is clear that Tayla is a very versatile artist: the album's tracks include a mixture of rock, pop, R&B, and even some Latin.
Your CD incorporates all kinds of different styles and musical genres. Was this variety deliberate? Do you plan on narrowing down your style in the future?

The variety of styles and musical genres I have on my album, "Footprints" was very deliberate because I love variety! I love so many different styles of music, which is evident in this first album. I think it appeals to a wider audience too because my songs don't all sound the same. When you listen to my album, you'll hear songs ranging from contemporary pop, to hip-hop, to a bit of Latin. This variety keeps people entertained and expresses who I am at the same time. I do, however, plan on narrowing down my style in the future. As a solo artist, I would really like to focus in on a pop/rock vibe for my next album and the albums to come. I think it's fun to be diverse in music styles to keep the energy, but at the same time to be more focused on one particular genre so people can identify me with that. I want to find the type of music that's really me and sing it!

Tayla's album was recorded in December with the help of award-winning producer Ken Mary.
What was the most difficult thing about making a CD?

The most difficult thing about making a CD is the songwriting. It’s definitely one of my favorite parts because I get to express what the Lord has put on my heart, but it’s also one of the hardest parts because it’s very time-consuming and needs to be well thought out since it’s such an important part of making a CD.

Tayla has participated in several missions trips, where she learned eye-opening lessons about the true meaning of happiness and love.
Tell us about your experience in Mexico.

I’ve been going to San Vicente, Mexico for 2 years now with my youth group for mission trips and I love every minute of it! We go every spring break to serve at a battered woman’s shelter/orphanage for women and children who’ve been abused and abandoned or just need some help starting up again. My first year, I helped paint and decorate rooms in a new housing building we had been working on for the mothers and their children. Last year, I worked down in our sister church in San Vicente where I swept out the auditorium and repainted pews. My favorite part of the trip, however, is playing with the kids! Even though there’s a language barrier, I’m able to love them with my actions by just spending time with them, trying to get to know them. I always come out of there feeling more loved than ever because the kids are just so eager to be loved and give that love back. Whenever we come and visit, even if it’s the first day and they don’t even know us yet, the children run up and give us huge hugs with beautiful smiles spread across their faces. What a heart-warming welcome! Every year, we also spend one day at a migrant work farm where the kids and their families are in a lot worse conditions than the people at the women’s shelter. We perform dramas for them, wash hands, feed the kids a good meal, and spend time playing with them. Seeing their condition, it really breaks my heart to the point where I don’t want to leave, I just want to stay and show them how much Jesus loves them everyday. It’s great to be able to love them for that day we’re there though and hopefully they can take that love with them forever. Last year, one other place we had the blessed opportunity to serve at was the new Calvary Chapel Bible College in Ensenada where we did a lot of tough, but rewarding manual labor. It was really fun to start a new project there, which we will be continuing next year. God has really put a big passion on my heart for missions and I pray that I’m one day able to take my music ministry to the missions field and spread the gospel to the world through my songs.

In addition to her work as a musician, Tayla is busy with schoolwork -- she currently attends high school in her hometown of Washington.
What advice do you have for other teens that are faced with balancing school and music, while maintaining focus on God?

My advice for other teens would be to spend quiet time with Jesus every morning, studying the Word, journaling, and talking with Him. This really helps me to keep my focus on the Lord throughout my whole day. I’ve also noticed that as I’m drawing closer to Him by spending this time with Him, I hear Him speaking to me more about my music and His plans for my life. If you’re seeking the Lord with all your heart, He’ll speak to you and it’ll be clear where He wants to lead you. Make sure to keep Him at the focus of your music and your entire life. My other piece of advice would be from the verse 1 Timothy 4:12, “Do not let people look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.” Go all out for Jesus and don’t let anyone hold you back! He wants to do more than you could ever dream of in your life, so dream big!

Tayla has received two years of formal training in music.
How have music lessons helped you as a singer?

Music lessons have helped me grow as a singer because they’ve taught me proper technique. I was in choir for 7 years and I took private voice lessons for 2 and one-half years. Both of these experiences made me into a better singer by really stressing technique like in breathing and support, making me sing in a variety of styles, and showing me basic music theory, which I can bring into songwriting, among other important lessons.

In the summer of 2008, Tayla was invited to sing at America's largest Christian music festival.
Tell us about your experience at Creation Fest.

Singing at Creation Fest this summer was one of the best experiences in my entire life! I received the blessed opportunity to play there by entering the Creation Fest National Talent Search where I was selected as one of four winners. The whole event was totally God ordained because the week leading up to the festival I started getting this cold, which I was super worried about having on stage, but with much prayer, God completely healed me of my cold so that the morning of my show my voice was all cleared up! I really felt like God moved through me on that stage and it felt so good to give Him all the glory! I think I definitely performed better than I ever have in my entire life because I was completely focused on him and was able to pour my whole heart into every single note. Not only is the location of Creation fest one of the most beautiful places on earth, it has some of the most awesome people there too, which I was blessed to be able to interact with not only during the show, but the whole week I was there. I hope to be able to perform there again next year!

Today, Tayla continues to write songs, sharing them with fans through her official Myspace page. She hopes to continue expanding her horizons as her career grows, keeping her desire to glorify Christ at the root of all her hopes and aspirations.
What are your plans for the future?
My plans for the future are to keep pursuing my music career full-on and hopefully one day get a record deal. Singing for Jesus is definitely what I want to do for the rest of my life. My number one goal is to tour all around the world, regenerating our generation by spreading the gospel through song. I want to see another Jesus Movement!

Article by Oksana K. [Editor]
Image credits: Josh Gunkler.
Hear Tayla's music: TaylaHodges.com

0 comments

Post a Comment