| 0 comments ]


Breezy Brookshire is an 18-year-old artist whose interests span everything from visual arts to writing, music, and homemaking. A recent homeschool graduate, Breezy spends her time drawing and painting, teaching art lessons, honing her piano skills, blogging about her artistic endeavors and spiritual journey, and delving into God's word (her favorite theological topics include family and church reformation). In 2009, Breezy and her younger sister Emily Rose co-founded Noble Rose Press, a small business that sells paper dolls based on Christian women whose faith and servitude in centuries past made a mark on history that continues to inspire girls today. After getting the business off the ground last year, Breezy sat down with MMM to chat about how her creativity and faith.

1. Tell us about how you began to draw. How has being homeschooled helped you develop your talents?

I've enjoyed drawing since I was a little girl and always wanted to learn more about communicating with the visual arts. From the time I was just a little girl I've been pouring through the books soaking up ideas and tips on drawing and and painting.

Through home-education I had the time to practice drawing and doodling wherever I was. Dad and Mom also made sure my sister and I always had plenty of art and craft supplies around the house to experiment with.

2. Describe your artistic style.

I don't know if I can pin-point it just yet, but I find myself most often trying to capture the simple pleasures of childhood like reading and exploring out of doors. I'm greatly influenced by Jesse Wilcox Smith and Tasha Tudor, but I'm still working on finding my precise "voice" without copying those I admire.

3. Which artists have you been influenced by? How do you 'learn from the masters' while still maintaining your own unique style?

My favorite illustrators would be Jesse Wilcox Smith, Beatrix Potter, E.H. Shepard, and Trina Schart Hyman, and Tasha Tudor. My other favorite artists are Monet, Rembrandt, and Sargent to name a few.

I have "learned from the Masters" by mostly looking long and hard at their work, mentally separating lights from shadows, pondering what colors they mixed to come up with what I see, and examining how well the movement and action translates in my imagination.

To keep my style nurtured yet unique while I'm "looking long and hard" I think about how the artist captured certain elements, or I might take notes on how I would do something differently. To keep my style from changing too drastically I simply keep my priorities and my own personal ideals for my work in the forefront of my mind while I'm drawing or painting.

4. Is anyone else in your family an artist?

Both of my parents drew when they were young, and my younger sister Emily Rose is a photographer and graphic designer. It's been a blessing to have a sister that knows so much about the computer, because our giftings compliment each other so well.

5. Of the pieces that you have done, which are your favorites and why?

So far, my favorite is "The Tree House." It's a pen and ink drawing of two young brothers and their little sister reading stories in their tree house. I chose to execute it in black-and-white because I've always admired the old engravings of the 1800's and their story bookish quality.

In "The Tree House" there is a print of "The Accolade" tacked on the wall, a painting associated with chivalry, heroism and honor. I used it to symbolize what the children were aspiring to: the nearly-lost virtues of bravery, protecting the innocent, and love of family.

My second favorite is "The Library." I struggled with the composition, color, and painting "too tight" for a long time. It took three tries before I decided to go to Beatrix Potter for advice. Her natural, fluid style was so refreshing and inspiring: exactly what I needed. I think it has become one of my favorites because I worked the hardest for it. :)

These are also my favorites because I feel I "pinned" them both; they turned out exactly as a pictured them in my mind. When I look at them now, I see things I would do a little differently now, but I can see I made a lot of progress while working on "The Tree House" and "The Library."

6. Your work makes it clear that artists can honour God without needing to include religious themes (crosses, angels, etc.) in their paintings. What advice can you give to MMM readers about glorifying God through pieces that don't have overtly "Christian" messages?

Like all things, it starts in the heart. If our hearts are filled with love for God's glory and we are committed to communicate only what is honoring to God, then I believe God will inspire us with ideas that will glorify Him, directly or indirectly. If we rely on ourselves to "creatively" spew out whatever we want, our work won't look much different than the world's.

We need to remember that God will hold us accountable for the images and ideas we present to the world. The world has so much ugliness in it already. The world needs to see hope. So I think it's important the the Christian artists create art the way they want to live their lives: "for the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul." (Bach)

7. On your blog you mentioned an exhibit you held recently at a local library. How was it?

For nearly the whole month of June I displayed over twenty pieces I've made during the past two years. I received a lot of positive feedback from the community. (I had a guest book, which was helpful in obtaining most of that feedback.)

8. Tell us about your art business on Etsy. What advice do you have for artists thinking about selling their work online?

I currently use Etsy to sell my arts prints. It's free to set up an Etsy shop, and they take only a very small amount for each item you sell. When uploading your work into your shop, be sure you use images that are clear, accurate and high quality. No matter how good the original or print is, the would-be-buyers will be turned off if they see an unflattering picture of your work.

To advertise your Etsy shop, it's very helpful to get involved in online communities. One way to get your name out there is to frequently comment on blogs, write about what you want people to know you by, and offer to write guests posts on more popular blogs. It's also good to know how to make buttons for your blog or shop so your following can promote you on their own blogs.

9. In terms of art, what are your plans for the future?

This summer, my sister Emily Rose and I started a home business called Noble Rose Press. We sell paper dolls that we've created based on historical women, so that will keep me busy. I also plan on continuing to study art and sell my art prints. I'm also planning on illustrating children's books in the near future.

To see more of Breezy's work, visit her blog, Etsy store, and Noble Rose Press.



Tell others about this article using the "Share" button below. Thank you for your support!

Bookmark and Share

0 comments

Post a Comment